"I want children to know they have a choice to make a difference by playing their part, and a voice to speak up and protect their planet"


We spoke to our latest author signing, the award-winning Serena Hassan, about her upcoming Pigeon and Poppy Adventures early reader series. From ecowarrior heroes to ventriloquism, mum-of-three Serena has plenty to talk about. Her greatest aim is to equip children to change the world for the better – and to have fun while they do it.

Were you born to be a writer?

From an early age I spent my free time upside down in trees, pretending to be a magical monkey, bike riding on top of an imaginary flying luckdragon (NeverEnding Story-style!) and creating make-believe stories with my toys. Adventures often started off in my bedroom and ended up in the garden. 

When I became a full boarder at twelve years old in the middle of a sleepy town in Dorset, I spent my weekends writing in a journal, which became an addiction. When I left school and moved to London in my twenties, my journaling naturally evolved into poetry, which eventually led to writing a 75,000-word story that took place in my parents’ vegetable patch. After this, I started to create short stories. So yes, I do believe I was born to be a writer. But it was only after I had written my first book and heard a professional say it had potential that I realised my writing could become more than a hobby.

Where did the inspiration for your first story, The Tap-Dancing Pigeon of Covent Garden, come from?

One warm summer’s afternoon I was sitting in St Paul’s Church gardens having lunch when, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a panic-stricken pigeon, hopelessly hopping and frantically flapping its wings. When I looked a little closer, I realised its legs were tangled in rubbish and plastic pollution. This sparked an idea!

What's it about?

It starts with Pigeon leaving home for the first time to discover his passion and find a place to call home. Along the way, he makes a friend and encounters many strange sights and sounds. After discovering that tap-dancing gives him life, he has a near-death encounter with a whirlwind, which temporarily leaves him unable to walk, let alone dance. The underlying message is that our actions as humans matter to the world around us, but – just like the man who saves Pigeon – we can all play our part in protecting and saving our planet, and the precious wildlife within it.

Can you give us a brief summary of the second book in the series?

The next adventure, A Fearsome Flutter at the Natural History Museum, is about two eco-warrior pigeons, Pigeon and Poppy, who need to escape the ‘crinkle, crackle, crinkle’   a piece of cellophane that ends up trapping Poppy. First the pair must face the terrifying ‘roar, chomp, roar’ – a towering T-Rex – at the Natural History Museum. It’s a fun, interactive story with lots of fun sounds to make but also important themes to explore, such as friendship, loyalty and protecting our precious planet.

What was the most fun part of writing it?

Visiting the Natural History Museum with my journal and jotting down ideas. Most of the book was written while sitting on the stone floor in this gloriously grand building, not knowing that one day my dream of becoming a published author would actually come to fruition.

Why should children (or their parents/guardians) buy it?

My books are a thought-provoking mix of comedy, strength, friendship, self-belief and environmental awareness. They teach children to have empathy and inspire them to become superheroes of our earth. I want them to know they have a choice and a voice! A choice to make a difference by playing their part, no matter how small; a voice to speak up and protect their planet by influencing others to not drop litter.

Can you briefly describe your writing process?

To start off with, I create lots of spider diagrams with my ideas. Then I write without any rules or boundaries until I feel I have everything I need. Once satisfied, I think about what age it is aimed at, then spend hours editing, which I love!

What’s your favourite writing snack?

A homemade fruit and veggie protein shake. Full of everything my mind and body needs for a writing marathon.  

How do you spend your time when you’re not writing?

I’m a social media graphic designer and just a little obsessed with designing on Canva in my spare time. I also love playing tennis, rollerblading and hunting for fairy doors on walks with my three children. I am currently learning ventriloquism.

As an award-winning author, what advice would you give other aspiring writers?

You have to be in it to win it! If you’re writing for children, ask the kids in your life to read your book. They give brilliant advice, as they’re pretty much always honest. Also seek professional advice and develop a thick skin! Make sure the book has strong themes and is linked to the national curriculum.

Also, remember that the hard work doesn’t stop when you publish the book. You must be willing to live and breathe your story to make it a success. Do lots of author events to gain experience, and remember that everyone you meet is a potential contact or customer. Have a pitch ready and possibly some merchandise made. Kids love puppets!

Find out more about Serena and Emira Press's other amazing authors hereYou can also follow her on X, TikTok and Instagram. Serena's picture book is available to buy here. A new early reader version will be available in April 2024!

Comments