"I wrote scenes as they came to me: in images, pieces of dialogue and sometimes in dreams."


Susanna Naismith, author of middle-grade fantasy novel The Disappearing Island, shares insights about her inspirations, main characters and unique writing process.


Had you always wanted to write a book?

Yes! Ever since I’ve been able to read I have wanted to write a book, to recreate the kinds of stories that captured my imagination as a child.

Where did the inspiration for The Disappearing Island come from?

All sorts of places: Celtic myths and fairy tales; a painting of a forest; song lyrics; quotes... The setting was inspired by the landscapes and stories I grew up with. I was captivated by the idea of the seasons as a picture of life, death and rebirth.

Can you tell us what it’s about?

The Disappearing Island is about the quest of two young cousins, Catriona and Calum, to rescue a magical island from impending doom at the hands of the evil creatures in the Winter Wind.

Catriona and Calum discover a bridge leading to an island of gold-leafed silver trees. Unless they can help the islanders find the legendary Tree of Tales before the dreaded Winter Wind destroys the forest, the island is in danger of disappearing forever.

Set on the northwest coast of Scotland, it’s a tale about the destruction of nature, the meaning of home and the power of stories.

What drives the main characters?

Catriona is loyal and perceptive. She wants to restore order, make things right and help her cousin, who is struggling to come to terms with their grandfather’s death. Calum is adventurous and headstrong. He wants to be independent and prove himself.

Which age group is it aimed at?

It is aimed at eight- to twelve-year-olds who enjoy tales of myth, adventure and wonder. Having said that, I don’t think anyone is ever too old to read a children’s book!.

Can you briefly describe your writing process?

The writing process for this story was a bit like the process of painting: sketching first, then gradually adding touches of paint to create the fuller picture. I wrote scenes as they came to me: in images, pieces of dialogue and sometimes in dreams.

What’s your favourite writing snack?

I don’t tend to snack much when I’m writing, but I’ll sometimes have dried cranberries.

How do you spend your time when you’re not writing?

When I’m not writing I work as a curriculum developer, creating online language learning resources in French and Gaelic. Ballet has also been one of my hobbies from an early age.

What advice would you give other aspiring authors?

The process is just as important as the end result, so be patient, persevere and enjoy the journey!

Find out more about Susanna and Emira Press's other amazing authors  here. You can also follow her on X and on Instagram for updates about The Disappearing Island, coming soon! 


Comments